ALERT's first policy issue is the Leuser Ecosystem in Sumatra Indonesia. It is the last surviving lowland rainforest on the island and "it is the last place on Earth where elephants, tigers, rhinoceros and orangutans still coexist”. The local government is being pressured to allow for this area to be developed. We are advocating that the Leuser Ecosystem should be conserved as a World Heritage area.
Earlier in the week, we participated in faxing a well-prepared letter to 30 Indonesian and international officials. We also sent a press release about the issue to hundreds of environmentally-focused media reporters.
Today we are circulating an online petition that has already garnered 12,600 supporters through our social media channels. Less than 2500 signatures are needed. Please add your support by signing the petition here: http://www.change.org/id/petisi/protect-the-leuser-ecosystem-declare-it-a-world-heritage
Thanks to the Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Programme for creating these tweets to support the issue. Please use some of the tweets below or customize your own. <strong>It is important that you TAG @SBYudhoyono, @presidenSBY</strong> and use #SaveAceh and/ or #SelamatkanAceh.
- Encourage the Aceh Governor to nominate Leuser Ecosystem to become a World Heritage Site #SaveAceh #SelamatkanAceh @SBYudhoyono @presidenSBY
- Let Governor Zaini know the world is watching. Tell him to protect the Leuser Ecosystem @SBYudhoyono #SaveAceh #SelamatkanAech @presidenSBY
- The new spatial plan will threaten wildlife populations with extinction @SBYudhoyono #SaveAceh #SelamatkanAech @presidenSBY
- The new spatial plan will negatively impact the Aceh's people living downstream @SBYudhoyono #SaveAceh #SelamatkanAech @presidenSBY
- Illegal land clearing and road development happening now in Aceh! Spatial plan not yet approved @SBYudhoyono #SaveAceh #SelamatkanAech
- Species survival depends on saving the Leuser Ecosystem not destroying it for a new spatial plan @SBYudhoyono #SaveAceh #SelamatkanAech